Make up your damn mind.
The announcer on Fox is condemning all of the television and radio people who have practically stalked Steve Bartman since yesterday. For those of you who don't give a crap about baseball and/or don't live in Chicago, Bartman is the a Cub fan who reached out and tried to catch a foul ball that Moises Alou, the Cub right fielder, was going after. Bartman missed it, Alou missed it, and after that the inning degenerated for the Cubs. By the time it was over, the Marlins had scored 8 runs. I don't see how Mr. Bartman could be held responsible for any of that, since he wasn't pitching or hitting, but still...I think that Bartman was the easiest target for the Cub fans' frustration, and obviously the media agreed. They staked out his home, called him to the point where he had to disconnect his telephone, and published his name when it would have been better, and safer, for him to remain anonymous. The only reason that I am using his name is that Mr. Bartman released a statement expressing his genuine regrets over possibly interfereing in a play. I feel bad that he even had to do such a thing.
But I digress. I started this entry because when I listened to the Fox announcer talk about how the media had harassed Mr. Bartman, I wondered how many of those television crews waiting outside that poor man's home were from Fox affiliates. I'm sure that Fox, which is often trashier than UPN and TheWB combined, would not have passed up the opportunity to exploit the public's newest scapegoat. Even if someone with a sense of compassion were running things, would a Fox affiliate even be able to afford not to keep up with everyone else's coverage? I think not.
In conclusion: shut the hell up announcer. You can be on the moral high road, or you can be in the Fox broadcasting booth, but you can't be both.
