Feels like old times...
Of all the things I miss about college, what I miss the most is watching television with my friends. We'd all get together in one of our rooms, have bowls of butter-saturated microwave popcorn, and then watch. Of course, half of the fun was silently consuming the action on the screen just as steadily as we did the popcorn, so that we could dissect and discuss what had happened during the commercials. I miss having two to five other people in the room when I am watching my favorite television shows, because I feel like I'm only getting part of the tv-watching experience.My friend/twin J, one of my primary tv-watching friends, and I share a love/hate relationship with the show Alias. We find that our disbelief, which was comfortably suspended for most (or at least much) of Buffy's seven-year run, just won't cooperate when we're watching Alias. During last night's show, J and I sent each other text messages back and forth. At first, we sent messages during the commercials, but soon we were sending them pretty much as fast as we could type. I often ignored the action on the screen to focus on what J was saying to me, and what I was saying back to her.
Then, as soon as the show was over, I called her anyway, and we spent another half hour further dissecting everything from Lauren's accent (the actress is Australian, why are they pretending that it's even possible that the character is from Virginia) to Sydney's red dress (Jennifer Garner is one scarily in shape woman, yet the wardrobe department managed to find a dress that made her look quite chubby), to which actors on the show have chemistry (hint: not Michael Vartan and Melissa George).
It felt good to have a tv-buddy again, even if we are separated by a time zone and a thousand miles.
