10.07.2003

Dirrty

The guy in those new Gap commercials is seriously gorgeous. He's got just the kind of look that I go for: he's tall (I think) with dark eyes and features. I love it. But his hygiene? It goes beyond questionable, right to nonexistent. What's up with sleeping in the same pair of pants every night, and then just putting on a shirt and booking it the next morning? Um...shower? Besides, I don't care what any marketing person would try to have you believe, I'm telling you that sleeping all night in a pair of jeans does not feel good. I have a favorite pair of jeans, too, but I take them off at night! I don't have a problem with putting on the same pair of pants two days in a row, nor do I think that you have to wash your jeans every time you wear them, but please...let them air out a little.

If you look at the apartment set in the commercial, Dirrty man, like pretty much everybody on television, is not hurting for money, despite doing nothing except being gross both at home by himself (surprise, surprise) and in public with unsuspecting people. Does this man work? Is he currently unemployed? If I were an employer, I wouldn't want to hire someone with such dodgy personal hygiene, either.

I'm reasonably sure that the actor who plays Dirrty man actually showers, which is already more than I can say for his character, but I'm still not satisfied. This commercial leaves me feeling in the dark, like there's something that I'm not being told; I feel like there should have been an explanation for Dirrty man's dirtyness.

This is going to bother me.