Almost as good as free
This afternoon, upon arriving at work, I realized that I had forgotten my usual bottle of water. I can't go without having some sort of liquid, so I decided to buy myself a Snapple (if it costs the same as water, I might as well go for the flavor, right?).I went to the vending machine area, inserted my $1.25 (actually, I put in $1.40, since I hadn't found my quarter until after I'd already deposited $0.15), and pressed the button for Fruit Punch. Imagine my surprise when I got back $0.40 change. I was so excited that I told my brother (with whom I work) to buy Snapples only from the D8 queue, but then he told me that every drink in the machine was priced at $1.00. Turns out that when they "fixed" the machine after the blackout (becaue it hadn't been working when the power came on), they accidentally set prices to $1.00. I was a little deflated to learn that I wasn't especially lucky, and that everyone was getting the same discount, but still...it's a quarter, man.
I think it's quarter worship leftover from college, when a quarter meant the difference between a clean shirt and that iffy sweater I wore twice last week.
