8.20.2003

To make a long story short...

Okay, so the guy that I met last night? Was pocket-sized. Seriously. He was the same height as me, or maybe even a little shorter. And I am not a tall girl. Talk about disheartening. I felt like this was one of those television/movie blind dates where the woman has to find a way to hide her disappointment with the guy who shows up. I was waiting outside of the designated meeting place, when a man in a black shirt and khaki pants walked up to me. He'd told me what he was wearing, so I knew who he was. There was a quick mental revision of my hopes/plans for the evening (and possibly beyond), and then we were on our way. We had a nice time walking and talking about pretty much everything. We discussed several past presidents, civil rights, the Civil War, the Lincoln/Douglas debates, the most recent war, and Northern/Southern reality in this country. While I did enjoy being able to have a serious discussion with a man, I did have one problem: He kept cutting me off.

I don't mean that the last syllable of the end of my sentence would be overlapped by the first syllable of his first sentence. No. What I mean is that he would actually just start talking over me. How did this man get past the fifth grade believing that this was acceptable behavior? Also, every time he wanted to emphasize a point, he would touch me. My arm, my leg, my shoulder. It was kind of annoying. I don't like to be touched by people I don't know, or who I've just met. I'm especially picky about allowing men to touch me. I like guys, I enjoy their company, but I have boundaries.

He emailed me to tell me that he had a good time, and I wrote him back emphasizing how much I like him - as a talking buddy. Last night he tried to schedule another meet-up, and because of my insane work schedule, I was able to put him off without having to lie or even practice some creative evasion.

The bottom line is this: he's 30, he's 5'6", and he should understand at his earliest possible convenience that he has no chance with me as anything other than a friend.