8.18.2003

So Take That

I work from 8 am to 8 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. My job is to take reservations for people who need car service, but hardly anybody needs car service on the weekends. I average less than six calls an hour. It's kind of lonely. Anyway, when I leave work, I'm tired, because even virtual inactivity can start to wear on you after twelve hours. I spend my time using the internet illegally, which is to say that my coworkers and I have figured out which internet browser our software doesn't block (Hooray for Netscape). Even visiting my favorite web sites doesn't take twelve hours, and reading gets boring, and talking gets old...I'm sure you get the idea, but it's actually pretty horrible. Give me a busy job anyday.

So when my parents picked me up from work yesterday, we went to the ice cream shop so that the old folks could get their peach on. Then we headed to the International Buffet. I love their food, but I only go there on weekends (and only the week that I get paid) because that's when they have the best seafood. Usually I fill up on crab legs and shrimp and pasta, and yesterday was no exception. I was pretty hungry, since I haven't really been eating well lately, so I got more than usual. When I went to pay, the lady weighed my food and was going to charge me the price for all seafood. But aha! I'm on to them. If you get all seafood, your food costs $6.99 a pound. Seafood and other food is $5.49 a pound. I'd be an idiot not to get something else as well, right? I told the lady that I'd be paying the price for a mixed order, since I didn't have all seafood.

Thank goodness I grabbed those two spare ribs.