1.28.2004

FTW

A few weeks ago, I was feeling pretty worthless and miserable, and all I wanted was for someone to make me feel better. My anger and sadness were eclipsed only by my prodigious temper, so it's no surprise that my parents chose to stay out of my way. Instead of being grateful that they were giving me space and weren't trying to comfort me with meaningless phrases of consolation, I got even more upset, because I felt like they were shirking their parental duties. From the midst of my almost blind rage, a single thought emerged: You may not be able to make me feel better, but you damn well better try.

I wrote it out and stuck it on my mirror. Now, whenever I look in the mirror, I catch sight of that purple index card. I see my face, then I see my temper in 3x5, and know that my reflection is just a little bit more accurate these days.