Career Opportunity?
I often hate my job. When I applied for it, the woman who interviewed me asked me point blank, "Why do you want this job? You are wildly overqualified for this position." I have no idea how I answered that, but it must have sounded good, because she hired me.The thing is, I really am overqualified for my job. In fact, I think that anyone with a basic command of the English language and a modicum of common sense would be overqualified for this position. I sit down and arrange car reservations for snotty people, most of whom have academic degrees similar to my own. I am especially galled by the way that they treat me as though I am completely deficient, since I know that I could do their job. Still, my goal is to travel, and there's no reason for me to get a desk job, only to walk away from it within a year, even if I would earn more money and (hopefully) be treated with more respect.
It continues to chap my ass that I am supervised by people who consistently employ double negatives and use the word "ain't" as though it's going out of style and who, furthermore, do this while conversing with clients. As a former proofreader, I am also dismayed by the company memos (marked "Interoffice," as though we're anything but a collection of semi-cubicles) where punctuation and sentence structure is definitely optional, and second grade-level vocabulary words, such as "their," are spelled incorrectly.
But. The woman who hired me was recently fired. While I did like her as a person, she was blocking me from changing my hours, which currently suck. It should be unlawful to make 22-year-old women work 12 hours straight on Saturday and Sunday each.
When I go into work later today, I'm going to approach the replacement supervisor, who seems slightly anxious to curry our favor, and ask her if my hours couldn't possibly be changed. The company is hiring anyway, so why not see if they can stick someone else with my crappy hours?
Wish me luck.
