9.13.2003

Business in the front...

I don't get the mullet. Honestly. I just don't understand how anyone could do that to their hair, look at him or herself in the mirror and go, "Damn, I look good." Or even, "I don't look so bad." Seriously. It's not as though one just didn't have the time to get one's hair cut, because if one has hair of such wildly uneven lengths, one must have had a haircut at some point.

I went to a baseball game on Wednesday, and I was seated a few rows over from some mid-80s rejects. The woman (I think) had frizzy mess of a salt-and-pepper mullet that perfectly accented her baggy, man's suit jacket and gray, shapeless pants. The guy with her had half of his mullet pulled back from his face, so that only the front fringe was free, all the better to see him in his throwback baseball jersey and Top Gun-era sunglasses.

I don't expect to see mullets in the metropolitan Manhattan area, unless they're completely ironic mullets, worn by people who understand the fashion of irony (the irony of fashion?). When I lived in Virginia, where NASCAR ruled and people proclaimed Moses to be their president, I understood the mullet. It was just further proof that Southerners are inscrutable creatures, not meant to be understood by those of us who didn't grow up making up long names (and excuses) for old wars.

I don't understand the rationale behind mullets, or why anyone would voluntarily wear them, and yet...I am completely fascinated by this hair style.