1.07.2004

Take this from my hand, Grasshopper

My older brother is almost six years older than me. Actually, he's five years and nine months older than I am, but I get kind of squicked out when it comes time to do the math, so six years it is. Anyway, growing up, I had an intense love/hate relationship with him, because he was my both my greatest idol and my worst torturer. We didn't really get along until I was old enough 1) to avoid getting the crap beat out of me and 2) to hold my own with him intellectually. Then we started to compete in other, nonviolent ways. I always got better grades, but he was the one who came up with the brilliant schemes that got us what we wanted, usually without our parents being the wiser for it. Currently, as the one of us who has completed college, I am afforded a slight edge in any pursuit that involves intellect (shut it); this isn't my doing, as I don't ever mind being the underdog and doing better than expected, it just seems to be what everyone thinks.

In the past week, my brother and I have both kick my dad's butt at Outburst, and so my father thought it would be good for the two his children to play each other. At first, it started off well, with my brother pretty much killing me. He was getting some pretty awesome categories, but I can admit it: I was just being stupid today. I was missing all of the obvious ones. I deserved to lose. But then I started catching up, and my brother started to get frustrated. He "didn't hear" me when I said answers, and grudgingly gave me credit for things that I had said only when both my father and myself pointed out that I was being shortchanged. And all of the sudden, boys and girls, we had ourselves a real game.

After the third time that my brother's hearing mysteriously failed him and I pointed it out, which was, coincidentally enough, exactly when I caught up to and then overtook him, my brother quit playing the game. He said that he was just sick of playing the game, but I think that he was just afraid that I might win. He hates it when I beat him at chess, cards, video games, and everything else I can think of. I bet he longs for the time when he could beat the crap out of me and just call it a day.