But the cover was so pretty!
I have a habit of choosing things based solely on their outward appearance, without giving much consideration to other, more practical measures of their worth. Case in point: while at the supermarket the other day, I remembered that I was running low on toothpaste. I went to the toothpaste aisle and almost picked up the same kind of toothpaste that I already had, and then I saw it: a clear plastic box with a funky-topped, metallic-looking tube inside. I was in love. Clearly, this toothpaste had to be the best, because none of the other boxes or containers looked even half as cool. I picked up the box without giving the specs (can toothpaste have specs?) even a look, much less a thought. I never thought twice about the matter, except for picking up the larger of the two sizes offered, not wanting to cheat myself out of any extra coolness.Man, was this a bad idea or what? I was so excited when it was time to brush my teeth that night. I opened the package and marveled at the sheer beauty of my new tube of toothpaste. I even squeezed it from the bottom, just to make sure that I didn't ruin the shape any more than absolutely necessary. I was prepared for a new experience, for cleaner, cooler teeth; really, I was prepared for everything except for the weird, slightly spicy taste of the toothpaste. I'd figured that something that looked so nice couldn't help but be at least a little better than the average toothpaste, but clearly I was wrong.
I've got to learn to stop judging things by how they look; this system hasn't really worked out for me.
