The Smart Sweater
I was sick last week, and a friend came over to bring me some tea. He rang the doorbell and I when I opened the door, he was completely floored. Not because I looked bad, which I probably didn't, since I was suffering from limited vocal ability due to a cold, but because I looked smart. Seriously. That's what he said.I was wearing a huge black turtleneck, some comfy jeans, and my glasses, since I rarely wear my contacts when I'm at home. He kept exclaiming how smart I looked, and how much more serious I seemed when I looked like that.
It just made me laugh that he'd say this, because of all the people I know, I think he's the one who is most likely to take me seriously. I'm not a dumb person at all, but people have the tendency to overlook the fact that I'm not a complete moron. I think it's because I often smile for no apparent reason. And wear pink.
While I don't play to these expectations, people will believe what they want to believe, and nothing short of whipping out my transcripts is going to change their minds. That's fine with me; the people who need to know that I'm smart do.
And for everyone else....well, now I have the smart sweater.
